At St James Garlickhythe, we believe every person has a value and dignity which comes directly from their being created in the image and likeness of God. This implies a duty to value and honour all people as bearing that image, and therefore to protect them from harm.
- We accept and endorse the principles set out in ‘Safeguarding in the Diocese of London’.
- We commit ourselves to nurture, protect and safeguard all our members, particularly children, young people and vulnerable adults.
- We recognise that safeguarding is the responsibility of the whole church community.
- We undertake to exercise proper care in the selection, appointment, training and support of those working in both paid and voluntary positions with children or vulnerable adults, including the use of Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosures and making appropriate referrals to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
- We will respond without delay to concerns or allegations that a child or vulnerable adult may have been harmed, cooperating with the police and social care services in any investigation.
- We will challenge any abuse of power by anyone in a position of trust.
- We will seek to offer pastoral care and support to anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with them appropriate pastoral support.
- We will seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision and referral to the proper authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child, young person or vulnerable adult.
The PCC of this Church agreed and adopted the above Policy at its meeting in 13/6/2017.
Further guidance can be found in the National Safeguarding Policies and Practice Guidance.
The National Church’s Parish Safeguarding Handbook provides further advice on responding to concerns.
Our Safeguarding Officers are the first people to speak to if you have any concerns around the welfare of a child or adult with vulnerability.
Our Safeguarding Officer is Ellis Pike.
Our Children’s Champion is Johanne Moss.
Both are contactable via the parish administrator: adminSJG@london.anglican.org.
You may also speak to the parish priest, Fr Tim Handley, on 07912583201, or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would prefer to speak with someone outside the church, please call the London Diocesan Safeguarding Officer on 020 7932 1224.
You can also contact the City of London Corporation safeguarding team on: